Friday, January 2, 2009

Winter sports

Winter sports to a Chennai gal like me is very alien, after all winter itself is a scary thought. The only time you dust off a decade old sweater is when you travel to places that are colder than 30 degrees celsius. When I see folks who jump off slopes in skis and fly in the air before landing, I have a great sense of awe. Actually, the jumping and flying sounds exciting, it is the landing that worries me.

When I came across this report that an Indian won a bronze in Luge Asian games, I was impressed. For the uninitiated, Luge is racing on a sled (face up-feet first) on a track (to me it looks like a long winding slide). This is not a sport for me, but an Indian doing well in winter sports I think, is even more unusual than winning an Olympic gold, so well done Kesavan.

Would you ski-jump or go on a luge?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No way... not snow... I freezed myself in the hills of switzerland for a few months and when I got back, I never knew how happy I will be back to greet a 42 degree sultry chennai heat! Peace, and happiness I could never imagine.

On that Indian who won accolades, is it an NRI or a real resident Indian... tough to see what is worth in the case dual citizenship programs. The state which he comes from also matters... will try and dig more info.

Anonymous said...

Imagine the cost savings we have in Chennai -- no separate winter wardrobe - no heavy blankets...

I thought he was born and brought up here (Himachal Pradesh?). There was a small TV item on his lack of sponsorship etc. I could be wrong, one of reasons I don't do too many tennis posts because many of them have not really come from the Indian system (or lack of any system)

a fan said...

no posts over 2 months?!
hope things are fine and you are very busy :)

straight point said...

RS...winter is over...you can come out... :)

RS said...

sp, a fan,

have been out of country travelling on work, have not had a chance to follow Indian sports. hopefully will resume soon :)

Anonymous said...

My goodness... I thought I was notorious for doing the disappearing act.