Saturday, October 18, 2008

Where have all the crowds gone?

Where are the crowds in India for test matches? Mohali stadium despite the SRT record, is very empty. In Bangalore, the weekend crowd was good, but the rest of the time, it appeared to be empty as well. I think this does not bode well for test cricket. When I was in school, (I sound like my grandparents used to :) ) I remember the stadiums being crowded even during weekdays.

Even with my interest in sports, it is unlikely now that I will have 5 days off to watch an entire test match. If I did, I would have tons of other things to do. So most likely, if I could, I would go for only one day and most probably on a weekend. Also the ticket prices are not conducive to watching the entire match. Many times now, matches finish on the 4th day - so if you bought a ticket for the 5th day, and you don't get any cricket at all - don't you feel gypped? (btw, do you get your money refunded for rain or no play?)

It is not very easy to even watch the match on TV on all the days (though I have flexibility in work schedule). Mostly I catch glimpses and highlights during the week. Personally, I confess, I am now more likely to buy a ticket for an IPL match rather than a test match (for the simple reason that I don't have to take time off to watch it and because friends and relatives are likely to join in for an IPL match rather than a test match).

So are you able to watch a cricket test match on all 5 days?
Besides students old enough to go to the stadium by themselves and non-working folks (if they are able to afford the prices), who is the target market for test cricket? Is too much cricket to blame or the format? Can test cricket survive?

4 comments:

Viswanathan said...

They are all watching it on TV.:)

Seriously, it has been a longtime I watched cricket at a stadium.

I cannot tolerate the crowd, the heat or the pervasive security.

I always keep an eye on TV even while working.

RS said...

:) I wonder if TV ratings are high either.

Viswanathan said...

There will be a jump today.:)

Gaurav Sethi said...

ott - swing by delhi. serious. cooler, insecure, and we're working on the crowds too.