Monday, June 23, 2008

F1 Pit Stop Mechanics

Yesterday as I watched the French grand-prix, somehow my thought was directed towards the pit stop crew. Most F1 fans' dream would be to drive an F1 car, but having tried a simulation game, I quickly got rid of this dream. In fact, if you ever spot me near a racing car, take cover immediately.

So I thought about how would it be like to a pit stop mechanic. It seems exciting enough and hopefully with enough practice I will eventually be able to do a somewhat decent job (atleast better than racing). But after more thought, I don't think I would even want that job. You have to be so precise and fast, and at the same time trust the F1 driver not to make the slightest mistake. The guy in front of the car, holding the board with instructions for the driver to stop/go - what must he be thinking each time? I hope they are paid very very well? What qualifications are needed? What do they do during the week? Probably some of the other underpaid, under-appreciated jobs with a high daily stress level are nurses and air traffic controllers.

So having eliminated two options for the F1 job (no chance at all as an engineer), I have shifted my dream to a dream vacation across Europe. Starting at the French Open, watching some cricket, catching Euro 2008, traveling along the tour de france route, catching the Wimbeldon, going to an F1 race, maybe a moto GP and visiting all these places in between would be ideal. Maybe I can wait for Olympics to happen in a European city!

6 comments:

Viswanathan said...

They practice their routine during the week. :)

RS said...

:-) Do they make good money?

Viswanathan said...

I assume they do. :)

a fan said...

yes, even i have all these doubts.
because it's still my dream to be part of a racing team for a year :)
i am sure i'll find the answers by this year end...will keep you updated :)

Anonymous said...

Wow.. great holiday! Do not forget the Strawberries and Cream at Wimbeldon!!

Cheers,

Tarun

RS said...

@tarun: sure I can dream about strawberries and cream as well :-)