Saturday, June 28, 2008

Search Terms

As I was looking at stats of my IPL blog, I was surprised to see that "csk gossip" was something someone searched for and got to my blog. I had no posts on gossip on the individuals and teams, so I was looking to see which post lead people to my blog and I think it is this post where I ask the media not to speculate so much and make a mountain of a molehill! And please note, I am the wrong site to come for gossip - unlikely to know anything unless it is on the first couple of pages of the google news or on TV and not likely to propagate it.

I found that people searched for "Captain cool Dhoni" and variations of "dhoni coolest captain" (not sure if cool is in the context of his style or his demeanour) but they brought a smile.

So I decided to check out this path further (too much time on my hands?) and I typed dhoni in the text box and google offered me the following suggestions.

dhoni wiki (sounds good)
dhoni euro cup (tsk, tsk..., but will let it go)
dhoni 183 (sounds good - a genuine cricket fan)
dhonixpress (fine - an unofficial fan site)
dhoni's official website (sounds good)
dhoni's house in chennai (non-existent - maybe people are checking real estate prices - or maybe checking which properties they can't afford?)
dhoni cricinfo (sounds good)
dhoni with deepika (stale news - not sure if there was anything there to begin with. If you are searching for gossip related items - please be more current).

But the single most funny was
dhoni milk

If google is suggesting the above, it means that many, many people must have searched for it. If you were searching for "dhoni milk" what are you looking for - the secret of his energy (that should be boost) ? It is indeed worrying that so many people have time to search for dhoni milk and are interested in it.

PS: I checked Yuvraj's and Dravid's as well - Yuvraj's has variations of sixes in the suggestions and the only odd one for Dravid was "Rahul Dravid brother" - no idea if his brother was in the news for anything - so in terms of India cricket Dhoni has the oddest search phrases.

2 comments:

Viswanathan said...

RS,

A couple days back Economic Times carried news about Dhoni cutting back on his milk consumption because of inflation.

Maybe your 'searcher' was looking for information on that.

Cheers

RS said...

Just checked out the article - and seems like it was a joke. And these are google suggestions, so tons of people must be searching for it. You know Dhoni has made it big time, when a joke about his milk consumption causes so much traffic!